From the Guidebook:
This historic mining town,
elevation 2,600 feet, was founded in 1849 and named after primitive mule-drawn
ore cars used here. The center of rich placer and quartz mining, its largest producer was the Petticoat Mine. As a result of black fever, the town's population was decimated in 1880. The post
office established in 1857, and the Edwin Taylor store
built in 1867, and the site of an Indian council house are among present day attractions.
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Rail Road Flat Community Club, August 4, 1967.