From the plaque:
Pete Walters of Ogilby discovered
the first gold vein at Gold Rock on January 6, 1884. From
his Little Mary Claim began a gold camp which reached
its peak development between 1893 and 1899 as Hedges,
with 3,200 residents. Nearly closed, 1900-10, it was reopened
as Tumco, 1910-13, and worked intermittently until 1941.
Tumco has long been a California ghost town.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Imperial Valley Pioneers Historical Society and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus. October 19, 1985.