The Old Bull Trail Road ran from Napa Valley to Middletown. It was built by volunteers in the 1850ís. A number of grades were 35 percent. It was an official road in 1861 and abandoned in 1868. St. Helena Toll Road also ran from same points. Was completed in 1868. The grades ran to 12 percent. State of California purchased from John Lawley heirs in 1925.
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by County of Lake. Dedicated May 30, 1950.