From the Guidebook:
Designed by A. A. Bennett
for entertaining, the cottage was constructed by Elias
Jackson ('Lucky') Baldwin in 1881. Since there was no
kitchen, meals were served from the nearby adobe (built
by Hugo Reid in 1839) where Baldwin actually lived. The
building was restored and dedicated May 18,1954 as part
of Los Angeles State and County Arboretum.