From the plaque:
Los Baños (the baths)
del Padre Arroyo, visited as early as 1805 by Spanish
explorers, was a favorite place for padres from San Juan
Bautista Mission during their travels to the San Joaquin
Valley. Its name was changed to Los Banos Creek by later
American emigrants. The town of Los Banos was established
at its present site in 1889, after the post office of
Los Banos was built near the creek in 1874.
Plaque placed by California State Park Commission in cooperation with Los Banos Parlor No. 206, Native Sons of the Golden West and the City of Los Banos. April 25, 1957.