From the plaque:
On September 10, 1870, Captain
Samuel S. Dunnells and William A. Abbott opened Newport
Bay to commerce when they entered it for the first time
on the sternwheel steamer Vaquero. The landing was designated
'Newport'-a new port-by James Irvine, Benjamin Flint,
James McFadden, and Robert McFadden. The McFaddens operated
a regular shipping service here during the 1870s and 1880s.
Originally registered June 20, 1935. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Newport Beach Historical Society and City of Newport Beach, April 16, 1986.