San Diego Presidio
Soldiers, sailors, Indians and Franciscan missionaries
from New Spain occupied the land at Presidio Hill on May
17, 1769 as a military outpost. Two months later, Fr.
Junipero Serra established the first San Diego mission
on Presidio Hill. Officially proclaimed a Spanish presidio
on January 1, 1774, the fortress was later occupied by
a succession of Mexican forces. The presidio was abandoned
in 1837 after San Diego became a pueblo.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 59
First registered Dec. 6, 1932. Plaque placed by the State
Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with
the San Diego Department of Parks and Recreation and Squibob
Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, August 8, 1992.