From the plaque:
Site of Ship Niantic
The emigrant ship Niantic
stood on this spot in the early days "when the water
came up to Montgomery Street." Converted to other
uses, it was covered with a shingle roof with offices
and stores on the deck, at the level of which was constructed
a wide balcony surmounted by a veranda. The hull was divided
into warehouses entered by doorways on the sides. The
fire of May 3, 1851 destroyed all but the submerged hulk,
which later was utilized as the foundation for the Niantic
Hotel, a famous hostelry that stood until 1872.
This tablet placed by the Historic Landmarks Committee of the Native Sons of the Golden West, Sept. 19, 1919.