From the Guidebook:
Founded nearby on the edge
of the Guadalupe River on January 12, 1777, this is the
first California mission to honor a woman-Clare of Assisi.
The mission, which once had the largest Indian population
of any in California, was moved after floods and earthquake,
its fifth church was dedicated on this site in 1825. In
1851 Santa Clara College was established in the old mission